Transitions

I am really looking forward to Winter Solstice this year. Some years the holiday spirit is completely lacking but this year it jives.

I have been celebrating (or attempting to celebrate) the Sabbats for about 8 years now. In the beginning it was difficult. I never really considered myself Christian, I was Catholic (which in my experience is the Red Headed Step Child of Christianity) If I told say a Baptist I was Catholic I got an "Ohh" and a very apologetic look. But on the upside now if I tell a Baptist I'm Pagan (and depending if they have heard  of me or not) I am greeted with many colorful comebacks, from polite nodding and backing away to out in out rage at my poor choices in life where they instantly start questioning everyone I know and try to peel them away from my demon worshiping deeds. Whatever, people have A LOT of baggage tied up in religion. And me not excluded, which is why in the beginning it was difficult to make the transition.

I had 26 years of conditioning and tradition under my God Loving belt to contend with. I would think "I want to have Yule and recognize the Solstice but do I just disregard Christmas all together?... How messed up are my kids gonna be?... What's my Gramma gonna say??"

Well I did get quite a bit of backlash from my own Christan/Pagan change over. Sadly most of it found it's way back to me through gossip and hatefulness that those close to me couldn't say to my face. But whatever, like I said a lot of people carry their baggage in their religion. And I know for a fact that they love to pass that heaping pile of.. dogma to you :)

When I decided to really commit and get a taste of the old religion I discovered the fundamentalist Christian counterpart... The Born-Again-Pagan Christian haters. Crazy I know, and maybe haters is a harsh word...Hmm. They had been burned by the church, by the system, by the man, and they were not happy.

So the tricky part was find where I wanted to fit into all of this Dogmatic, Mythological Spirituality. And the super hard part is to not lose who I was in the beginning of it all. So I took some, I left some. It took a few years and some sad failed attempts but eventually I made a solid foundation for me to lay my spirit down and here I am.

Through all of these Pagan years I held strong to the stance that I was NEVER going to join a C...Co...Coven. Never say Never! I love my coven. We are... Unconventional, even to Pagan standards. But it works, for all of us. And my tiny ice block of a heart has never been more content in my own Spiritual skin. I can feel the seasons come and go, know the balance between the old ways and new and find joy in the small things. I can set up altar and pay homage to the Goddess but still make it to our extended family's table for Christmas dinner.

A lot of things went horribly wrong in 2011, it's probably a year that I will try and forget. However I am very glad it's ending on a peaceful note.



Happy Holidays :)

Comments

  1. I miss you! We really need to spend more time together. I have all kinds of religious activities that I attend here in Bakersfield from Buddhist to Muslim hell I even have a church I go to once in a while and they let me, even though they know that I am pagan. I have yet to find a local group with the energy of my Lancaster girls and I miss it desperately!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get to this point. I think having a house of our own is important though. Living under the roof of a devout Catholic is hard enough but trying to celebrate our spiritualism at the same time proves difficult, to say the least. Many blessings to you, woman! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts