Gratitude






In the 9 years that we have lived in our house in the middle of the desert , this was the very best year for Trick or Treating. We ran out of candy and everything.  This was probably one of the best Halloweens I’ve had in a long time, complete with a stolen pumpkin.




In true scary movie fashion right before bed our phone and internet went out.  Right before I decided I needed a shower **insert Halloween theme here** The sensible me thinks ‘We all have cell phones I’ll call AT&T in the morning.’ The Halloween in me thinks ‘I’m gonna start getting calls on my cell phone coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!’ And the 2012 me thinks ‘NO INTERNET???? Till tomorrow?? How did people live like this?’ Of course Himself has already passed out and is oblivious to my Jan Brady  conversation with myself. Well, I survived the night and I’m waiting for the technician as I type… in Word… with no internet.

Every year October is a crazy busy high tension month. Parties, rituals, costumes, sacrifices (just kidding), decorating, festivals, pumpkins, all culminating to the emotional drain of Samhain. All of these things over years and years finally took its toll on me last Halloween in the form of a massive holiday break down.  (Everyone in my house says they don’t remember. I’m pretty sure they blocked it out) So this year I decided to take a different approach to my favorite month. No party. Simple ritual. Fun with the kids. Birthday dinner at my favorite restaurant. Minimal decorating. And mostly enjoying the wind change from scorching heat to sweet chill and enjoying the people around me. I think this is the gratitude I’m supposed to feel just after Samhain. 



Happy Day of the Dead

Aché

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts